Monday, November 24, 2008

Counting Down To Thanksgiving


I can't believe it's three days to Thanksgiving. I have been very busy. Last week I was able to go to the grocery store and purchase everything to cook my Turkey feast. I'm going to my parents for Thanksgiving but I still like to cook at home.

Sunday I started prepping. First I thoroughly washed the collard and kale greens. I like to cook both (something I learned from my grandmother). While the greens were soaking, I cut up the potatoes for the potato salad and the sweet potatoes. Next I chopped onions, celery and green peppers to have ready to go into their assigned dishes. I even baked a cream cheese pound cake for dessert. After the greens soaked a few hours I cut them up and put in the crock pot. I love using the crock pot. I always cook my vegetables in it when preparing a large meal. It frees up space on the stove, plus you can tend to other things while the crock pot basically takes care of the vegetables for you.

Tonight I hope to start my crab stuffing and sauerkraut. When my grandmother used to cook, she'd put pigtails in her sauerkraut. I like to use salted pork or fat back as I call it. I started making crab stuffing a few Christmases ago and haven't looked back. The first time I made it I also made the traditional sausage/sage stuffing which no one wanted after trying the crab stuffing.

Here's how I make it:

1 bx corn muffin mix
4-8 tablespoons butter
1 lb crab meat
1 cup finely chopped celery
2 cups of chopped onions
dried parsley (if you use fresh parsley it's 1/4 - 1/2 cup; minced)
1 tablespoon sage
1 tablespoon thyme
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 tablespoon Old Bay Seasoning (optional)
1 cup chicken stock (I like to use the stock from the turkey)
2 large eggs, well beaten (optional)


Prepare mix then bake in oven according to instructions on box .

Meanwhile in a skillet melt butter, add celery and onions and sautee until tender. Remove from heat and stir in the spices.

Combine ingredients in a large bowl. Add drained crab meat. Toss well until the stuffing is moist, but not packed together.

Stir in the stock and eggs, re-moisten and adjust spices as necessary.

Cooked in casserole dish at 350 until heated through with a crust on the outsides, 25 to 40 min.

I like to stuff my turkey with the dressing at least a 1/2 hour - 45 min before it's time for the turkey to be removed from the oven so that the stuffing gets some of the juices which really makes it taste 'o so good.

1 comment:

Diedra said...

Thanks Aggy! I printed it off for my Thanksgiving Notebook.
Ahorsesoul from MHH